Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Day 236. Different

Sick leaves

   Today I reflected upon the fact that arguments start because different people have different needs and they understand life differently. They have different expectations, a different life experience, different settings where they grew up. Many things seem to be different, huh? That's why we surround ourselves with friends. They are the only ones who are LIKE us. The ones we won't argue with because they seem to understand us. That's why arguments between friends end faster and better than the ones between co-workers.
   The fact that my mom has different needs than I do at my age makes it hard for her to understand me sometimes. I try to explain to her how I see life at 25 but I can tell she doesn't grasp the essence of it because at her age she's married, with a household to look after and everything looks different at 50. You're not interested in looking for a partner anymore, settling down or building a career. You do get wiser so that's why trivial things like buying new earrings once every two months seems useless, but the real challenge is exactly this: How can we get to be 50 and still understand our kids and their different needs than the ones we grew up with? How can we stop judging them for wanting an Ipad when we grew up without even a computer? Hmmm... 

No comments:

Post a Comment