Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Day 139. Theory vs Practice

The world beyond the grey walls

   Today I remembered how good everything seems in theory and how different it feels in practice.
   I helped a teacher with a project regarding some psychological cases. It was rather easy finding the diagnosis and the solutions but, now, compared to the years when I was a mere student, everything really looks different than I thought it would. 
   Working as a psychologist is nothing like we picture it in university. I bet it's the same for every job you prepare for and then face later on in life. It doesn't mean I don't like my job, God forbid, it's just that... I had unrealistic expectations, ok? I thought I will make it or break it and frankly, it's really not the case. In the kindergarten the psychologist is more of a teacher's help, a support that strives to protect the well being of the kids. You can't talk to the kids about their irrational beliefs or have them understand the adult talks they prepare you for in university and there are so many factors involved in every case that you can't be sure you DO have a strong beneficial influence in that kid's future:) Oh well, I guess facing reality can have both good and bad consequences: our pink glasses are stolen from us and we have to face the real world by ourselves, make serious decisions that influence our whole future but still get to be happy if we make the right ones.
   Dear students, just know that your job won't be as you expect it to be but that it's still gonna be AWESOME if you make it that way:) Finding reasons to love your job means finding sense and significance in your life and that, my friends, is what we all need in order to have a healthy life:)

No comments:

Post a Comment