Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Day 111. Family traditions

   
family traditions winter 2012

   My family has two big traditions: in spring - picking snowdrops from a forest near the city and in winter - picking mistletoe from a different forest near the city:) They're things we've done since I was a little child. I don't know how it all started but I remember how much we liked to pick our own snowdrops that announce nature coming back to life/ mistletoe for good luck and how  happy they made all our relatives that we gave them to. In the end we just liked the idea of making these OUR thing:) 
   Today was the day for picking mistletoe. We even took my best friend with us and so our journey began:) The day was surely the warmest of all the years so far. I thought I'd find crispy trees and take awesome landscape photos but the snow merely covered the ground in patches. We started to walk towardws the trees we knew to provide mistletoe for us. Meanwhile my best friend was continually slipping so I had to hold her tight:) Life is full of nice surprises so I found other interesting things to take photos to and after a while of walking we got to the trees we were looking for. We got our lucky mistletoe and then we drank some hot tea and ate some of my best friend's amazing cookies. After all this we started walking towards home. My best friend was right about a thing though: it was like the whole year was felt in our bodies: our head was warm (spring), our body was hot (summer), our legs were chilly (autumn) and our feet were frozen (winter). 
   It was a nice experience though and I remembered how good it is to have family traditions:) It's a personal signature that will last forever, at least in pictures and our memories:)

No comments:

Post a Comment