Saturday, June 18, 2016

365 days project 2. Day 57. Parenthood


   Parenthood - I think about this concept more and more these days because a lot of people my age are having babies around me.
   Working with kids makes me meditate upon this subject thoroughly very often. Some would say that thinking about it could be my body telling me I'm ready to have a baby myself. I don't agree. I think that choosing to be a parent is a major lifechanging decision that has to be well thought before. It involves sacrificing yourself and your time to raise a human being. And not just raising it to become a functional, healthy person but also to mould it in order to leave the world better than they found it.
   Being a parent involves being a teacher and not everybody is made to be a teacher. Kids are a gift you can't give back. Ever. It's an experience that will change you forever and that will switch your priorities. 
   Are we ready to have kids or are we still having them just because we come of age and it's expected of us? How many of the parents that have kids now are good parents, ready parents and how many of young people my age jump into it just because that's the next step after getting married? I know friends who had kids because they really wanted them and even if they were not completely ready mentally speaking (are we ever?) they learn to be good parents every day. That's an option too :) 
   I only wish that we have kids when WE choose and when we feel we are ready both financially and mentally so that those kids can have a bright future.
   I thought about it for a while and I choose to wait some more. I still need to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment