Sunday, June 12, 2016

365 days project 2. Day 51. Wild animals


   I usually see humanity in a romantic way: focusing on its good side, on what restores our faith in it, on the selflessness and help given to others. Therefore I tend to forget there is also a negative side of it: the hate, the fight for resources, the selfishness, the wish for power no matter the cost, the purpose achieved no matter the means. 
   Yesterday I went to the "Swan Lake" ballet show organized in for free in open air in the Central Park by the City Hall and the National Opera. It was supposed to be one of those amazing moments when you just gaze in awe at the stage and you are thanking the heavens you are alive to witness such beauty and grace. Instead, people were fighting for seats and standing in front of seated people just because they would view the show better from there, not caring there were dozens of people behind them. It was literally a battle of the fittest right there, a battle for resources. 
   I was one of the people seated behind the standing ones. I tried to be reasonable and polite, to explain the matter in a nice way, but the people wouldn't care and didn't want to move an inch so that the ones behind could get a glimpse of what was happening on the stage. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy the show at all. I felt frustrated, upset and disappointed the whole hour and a half when we stayed there. I couldn't believe what I was witnessing. Then I found the explanation: whenever something's for free, people turn into wild animals fighting for power and resources.
   Therefore, lesson learnt: I'll just go to the Opera or the Theatre and watch ballet shows or theatre plays there. This way I make sure I find the good people there instead of the wild animals. I don't know about you, but I'd rather stay as far away from the "savannah" as possible...

No comments:

Post a Comment