Friday, March 25, 2016

365 days project 2: Day 19. Blind(folded)


   Yesterday I saw a blind woman walk before me on the sidewalk and as I was walking behind her I was trying to picture myself in a world without sight. It was very frightening. Impossible. Unimaginable. A visual artist without sight is like a composer without hearing. Beethoven might have done it, but I couldn't. 
   And this brings us to... this present day when I was "kidnapped" at 5 AM by my maid of honour and one of the bridesmaids to go... somewhere. I told you previously that I was eagerly awaiting this day. And guess what. After going to the "getaway car" I was blindfolded and had earplugs in my ears and music was blasting through them. I couldn't see or hear anything. That was all fine and dandy until I had to get off the car and walk blindfolded like that towards what I thought would be the train station. In that very moment when my friends took my hands and were guiding me that image of the blind woman that I saw the previous day came back very clearly to me and with it all my thoughts I had then. I knew I was guided by my friends but I couldn't help not feel a bit of fear of the unknown. I didn't know where I was, if I had to climb some steps, if I could bump into something or someone and that whole feeling was a bit nerve wracking. I was happy it only lasted for a few minutes because in all that time that seemed like an eternity I became so thankful that I can actually use my eyes and create art. I don't mean to say that blind people can't be artists, I know they can, I just think I couldn't be a photographer anymore. Not the way I am now. 
   The good thing about this whole situation is that at the end of the walk there wasn't a train station waiting for me but the airport. Yes. The airport. And then the blindfold came off and I was handed in my passport and a flight ticket to... Venice, Italy, the city I ALWAYS wanted to see! I couldn't believe my eyes. This was the "somewhere" everybody around me was keeping as a secret. My dear God, what a huge and beautiful surprise! The trip that would soon become the best trip I have ever had in my life! 


No comments:

Post a Comment