Sunday, May 12, 2013

Day 248. Flooding


   I don't know about you, but I've always had an issue with heights. Every time I'm at a high altitude, my body doesn't feel safe, my heart starts pumping more blood and my brain says: FLIGHT! 
   Today I went to visit the city with my best friend from college and we decided to go up the Firemen's tower to see the city from above. As we were climbing the many stairs up to the roof we were both feeling scared. "Is it safe to be here? Is there any chance we'd fall?" we thought. But we kept going and going even if on the inside we were pretty startled. This is what "the flooding" is. You meet your fear and you fight with it even if you feel small and helpless. And at the end of the fight you realize, again, that you can do more than you thought you could. 
   It's interesting to observe how the brain reacts when you meet your fear and in the same time it's reassuring to find out that its reaction is normal. In my case, my brain says "I don't want to die. So be careful, better go away from here!" 
   Today I didn't listen to it and I'm happy I didn't because at the top of the stairs there was a spectacular view that was worth fighting for. Yeah, I needed a little time trying to talk myself into feeling safe but in the end I'm proud to have won this fight:) 


No comments:

Post a Comment